Sunday, September 12, 2010

The good, the apps and the ugly.

From the moment my hands parted the sleek white packaging and touched it, I knew.

I knew I was going to have to try really hard not to break this expensive and very beautiful piece of technology know as the iPad. It's only been one week, but so far my baby has remained unblemished and unharmed despite my general clumsiness and I have to admit, I am completely addicted.

Apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps, apps. Great apps and tacky apps and apps that cost more than I generally spend a day on food. Muddling through this jungle of apps has allowed me to discover more than a few of everyones favourite kind of apps, free ones.


1. Flipboard

An app built like a customized magazine, specially formatted to be filled with your interests and passions. This app takes your Facebook, Twitter and your choice of seven other contributing sources and mish-mashes your friends status updates and latest TEDTalks videos into the coolest magazine, online or print that I have ever seen.  Did I mention that it's visually stunning and sleekly designed with great photography from across the net? Seriously people, go get this one.

1. AppShopper

On the prowl for free and on sale apps? Then this free app is for you. It does all the searching for you, automatically updating itself with the newest and cheapest apps the iPad has to offer. Very useful and a great way to save a little cash while shopping for Apps.

3. Aurora Feint 3

The best free game I've found for the iPad by far is Aurora Feint 3. It takes full advantage of the iPads beautiful screen with some of the most gorgeous and well-done graphics I've seen in a free or bought iPad app. Along with beautiful graphics the game is addictive, fun and challenging with a format that could be the love child of Bejewelled and World of Warcraft. Very fun, very free and very addictive, be prepared to spend some time on this one if you get it.

4. NET-A-PORTER Magazine.

By far the best free fashion publication I have found online or in the apps, this magazine acts as free entertainment for the fashion obsessed and 47 pages of advertising for online luxury retailer, net-a-porter. The magazine is filled with gorgeous editorials and photo spreads, video content on almost every page and the fun ability to shop the issue. Every item featured in the magazine can be bought at net-a-porter.com by simply touching the provided link. It's fun, free,  and as high quality (if not higher) than the best paid for fashion magazine apps available.

If you're interested in more information on the best free apps as I find them, let me know in the feedback below.

2 comments: