Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Game Layer

Ever since my friend and fellow layout editor for The Projector, Glenda Ollero, first exposed me to the world of TEDtalks I have been addicted to the innovative talks and peeks inside the minds of some of the worlds most brilliant innovators.

As a communicator and advertising student my main goal is to persuade and motivate my target audience to a response or action. Understandably enough my favourite TEDtalks are often hosted by communicators and those who aim to persuade an audience using new and innovative techniques. One of the best TEDtalks that I have watched features Seth Priebatsch, a 'proud Princeton dropout' who's goal is to build a game layer on top of the world.

Rather than to try to explain what this means I'll post the video below,



After watching the video I began to see FarmVille and it's equally addictive FaceBook game counterparts as the completely genius pieces of work that they are and to examine my own gaming habits. I have been an avid user of roiworld.com since discovering the Korean fashion dress up site (think paper dolls meets Asian street fashion) in high school. Formerly only designed for the Korean market, Roiworld.com has in the last few years transferred over to an English language format and transformed the simple dress up concept into an addictive money maker by adding a game layer on top of the site.
A must try for any one interested in fashion and trends or simply anyone wanting to see a perfect example of the persuasive game layer that Priebatsch talks about in his TEDtalk, roiworld.com is well worth signing up for and completely addictive.
Try it out, sign up! And mention my username (prettyjimmy) when you do, so I can get 50 tokens to spend on avatar clothes. I really need to get that handbag to complete my look...




1 comment:

  1. The TEDtalks are incredible. I watch every one and I'm a better person for it!

    ReplyDelete