Friday, September 25, 2009

Weekend Winnipeg

I would like to begin with a, remorseful, and very teary “MY BAD!”
Last weekend I neglected my two readers, mom and Kenton, and failed to post a Weekend Winnipeg. Hopefully they feel the healing powers of forgiveness wash over them and accept my most humble apologies.


Ten dollars or less.

The Winnipeg International Writers Festival had some great live readings at Red River College this week. My fellow Creative Communications students and I got to skip class and listen to the very talented Lesley Fairfield, Endre Farkas, Carolyn Marie Souaid and my new favorite poet, George Elliott Clarke.

I had no idea that a poetry reading could be funny, seductive and charming until Clarke began to speak. His reading was one part stand up comedy, one part history lesson and one hundred percent FUN. If you have a pre-existing heart condition, have not yet entered puberty, or blush easily, I would recommend finding something a little more conservative to attend. Clarke’s readings from his new verse novel I&I were funny, interesting, sexy, sexier or sexiest.

After words: George Elliott Clarke
Friday, Sept. 25, 2009
10.30 pm- 11.30 pm
Aqua Books, 274 Garry St
Admission: FREE!

For more information on George Elliott Clarke, as well as this weekends other free readings visit http://www.thinairwinnipeg.ca/schedule

I hope to see you there tonight!

5 comments:

  1. George was amazing! I wanted to go hug him, his energy was beyond beautiful :) I bought his execution poetry book and then forgot to have him autograph it, so needless to say, IM PISSED! Im gonna write him a letter and ask for his autograph to put in my book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out, but you have many more readers than your mother and I. Like Jasmine, for instance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

    Oh bliss is mine, I thought mummy was just hitting the repeat number twenty times a day or so.

    ReplyDelete