Thursday, September 17, 2009

Winnipeg Thrift.

For those under the mistaken impression that vintage or second hand clothing is 'dirty, gross, or ugly', you my friend are wrong.

Luckily for the frugal Winnipegger, there are a variety of vintage clothing stores catering to almost every taste. For a cheap way to feel like you’re saving the world, Salvation Army, MCC, and Goodwill stores abound. If you're looking for a huge selection and a chance at designer bargains, Value Village is for you, and for those wanting a flash back to an earlier decade, Ragpickers and Vintage Glory in the Exchange district both fit the bill.

One of my favorite ten dollars or less activities is to raid my change jar and run across the street to the near by Salvation Army. I am constantly amazed at the two dollar t-shirts and Gucci belts that can be bought with a little lunch money.

Below are pictures of a few of my recent vintage purchases. I will also include the price I paid as well as retail cost if bought new.

Photobucket
Gucci belt, retail price $260.00, price paid $1.50

Photobucket
Salvatore Ferragamo shoes, retail price $450.00, price paid $3.00

Photobucket
Gold plated Bally key ring, retail price $275.00, price paid $1.00

Photobucket
Yves Saint Laurent shirt (I own it in red not white), retail price $285.00, price paid $2.00

Ignore the musty smell and polyester suit jackets, both your closet and wallet will be thanking you later.

8 comments:

  1. Those prices are insane!

    However it's still not enough for me to get over my phobia of wearing other peoples clothes. Even if they're clean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I can provide links to the company web sites if you'd like the proof!

    I need to start selling my collection,but I would probably only get a third the retail cost of most of my items, because the market for high end designer clothing isnt big here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel!
    Thanks for following my blog! Now I want to know which Sally Ann you're hitting up for cheap designer wear, because I never see it!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to post a blog listing the adresses of my favorite places to go, and yes I am MORE than happy to take a group shopping haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice score! My wife would love that Gucci belt. I dragged her into a Value Village a year ago (she's not a fan of thrift stores). I'll have to show her this so see can see the "finds" a person sees once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's where I get my hair cut and styled! Har, har.

    But seriously: nice buys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dream of a Value Village with hair cuts. I DREAM of it.

    I could be walking around, looking like this for only $2.75!

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30wxu7t&s=5&hid=6&tag=bad+hair+cut

    ReplyDelete